A trained midwife found herself working as a manager for a large, marijuana-growing establishment. Her experience is described in the following waking dream.
Her waking dream
“… I decided to take a job as the fore-woman/manager of a large marijuana growing operation in Sonoma County. I had a staff of several workers, and things were going well. But one day, I looked out and saw that the pump house for our well was on fire. I started yelling at the crew to help me put out the fire. Just as I was getting everybody together, I looked up and saw that there were state police helicopters about to land.…We were trying to put out a fire, but I needed to make sure the whole crew was together so that no one got hurt or implicated in the police raid. For a while, it was pandemonium with flames and choppers and people yelling and panicking…no one got arrested. The State Police just made sure the well was put out of commission. They took our names, gave us a warning and then let us go…But I was out of a job.”
We isolated the symbols and interpreted them as metaphors.
Tell me about…
* Fore-woman/manager: I was the one in charge
* Crew: My helpers
* Marijuana: Medicinally, it’s a painkiller. Recreationally, it just zones you out.
* Pump house: It protects the water well. It’s important because without water, you can’t grow marijuana—or anything.
* Fire: Destruction through heat and flame.
* State police raid: They wanted to stop us from using water during the drought. They were trying to protect a scarce resource.
* Helicopters: The easiest way to get to us—faster and fewer barriers to deal with.
* Pandemonium: Confusion, fear, disorganization, scattered impulses and actions.
* Out of commission: No longer functional, dead in the water.
* Warning: Nobody was punished, just told to stop. We got off easy.
* Out of a job: Unemployed, no source of income.
Retell the dream
Next, we reassembled the dream using her metaphoric meanings, and we added phrases as reminders that the symbols are aspects of herself.
There is a part of me that is in charge of my helpers within myself. Inside of me, I am growing something that is a painkiller and it just zones me out. Another thing in me is the substance I use to grow everything inside me (water). I have this part of me protected and covered. But the protection is destroyed from my own heat and flame. There isn’t enough of this growing agent inside of me, and part of me is trying to protect the scarce resource. This protective part of me works in the fastest way with the fewest barriers to shut everything down. I feel confusion, fear, disorganization and scattered impulses and actions in me. I’m no longer functional, dead in the water. No part of me is punished, but I have no source of income.
Tomorrow we’ll learn what this poignant message signified to her.
If you enjoy these posts, you can follow the discussion uninterrupted.
Scroll down to the bottom of this page to learn how.
Post a Comment