I am analyzing a pair of waking dreams that, at face value, seem to have no connection. One dream is about a security system installation that is not going well. The other is about a piece of shattered glass. Today we’ll concentrate on the security system dream. Remember, each of these “dreams” were events that took place during the dreamer’s waking hours; he was not asleep.
The new security system dream in review
What follows is a summary of the security system dream. (Scroll down to read the whole dream.)
“I am trying to install a camera surveillance system for the two entries into my home. It is not going well. There are problems with the equipment. The house doesn’t lend itself to post-construction remodeling. And we live in an area that has poor Wi-Fi reception, a technology that the security system relies on. I have made multiple trips to the electronics store trying to get the glitches resolved, and the whole project has become a frustrating ordeal.”
Isolating the symbols and understanding them as metaphors
The next step in any dream interpretation is to isolate the symbols and then figure out their metaphoric meaning. I usually begin by asking the dreamer a simple, non-directive question: “Tell me about it.” What follows were his responses.
Tell me about…
* A camera surveillance system: It gives me advance notice about who wants to enter my home.
* Home: The place where I live.
* Equipment: the components used to put the system in place.
* The house ill-suited to remodeling: The house design doesn’t allow for easy changes.
* Poor Wi-Fi reception: We have trouble picking up the signals that come through the air.
* Electronics store: It’s the place I get my equipment from, and it has expertise that I need.
* Frustrating ordeal: It’s draining my energy, patience and enthusiasm. I feel as if I’m caught in a bind, and I don’t know how to get out of it.
Restate the dream
Now, I repeat the dream replacing the original symbols with the explanations the dreamer gave. At the same time, I’ll add statements like, “There is a part of me that…” or “…in myself…” to remind the dreamer that all the symbols are facets of his own self:
There is a part of me that wants to have advance notice about what other parts of me will enter the place where I live inside myself. I need to install some components inside of me to help me do that. But the place where I live inside of myself isn’t designed for easy changes. I have trouble picking up the signals that come through my own air space. I consult the part of me that is supposed to have expertise, but I feel my energy, patience and enthusiasm draining. I feel caught in a bind and don’t know how to get out of it.
Wow! Suddenly a frustrating home project reveals a poignant, inner meaning. Does the message have validity? Stay tuned!
If you enjoy these posts, you can follow the discussion.
Scroll down to the bottom of this page to learn how.
Post a Comment